Department investigators have published a series of articles demonstrating the feasibility of utilizing dendritic cells for Immunoregulation, including the development of adoptive transfer therapies for cancer and infectious diseases. This series of pioneering experiments was published in very high-profile journals including Nature Medicine, the Journal of Experimental Medicine, and as a “Cutting-Edge” article in the Journal of Immunology. This work and ongoing studies are the basis for several ongoing clinical trials at the University of Pittsburgh and at other major medical centers. This work was reviewed in a front page Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article ("New Weapon Emerges in Cancer Battle"). and is being commercially developed through the University of Pittsburgh and affiliated spin-off companies.
- Celluzzi, C, Mayordomo, JI, Storkus WJ, Lotze MT, Falo LD Jr., Peptide-pulsed dendritic cells induce antigen specific CTL-mediated protective tumor immunity. J. Exp. Med. 183:283-287. 1996. ABSTRACT
- Mayordomo, JI, Zorina T, Storkus, WJ, Celluzzi, CM, Falo LD Jr., Ildstad ST, Kast MW, DeLeo AB, and Lotze MT. Bone marrow-derived dendritic cells pulsed with tumor peptides effectively treat established murine tumors. Nature Medicine. 1:1297-1302. 1995. ABSTRACT
- Celluzzi, C. and Falo, LD, Jr. Cutting Edge: Physical Interaction Between Dendritic Cells and Tumor Cells Results in an Immunogen That Induces protective and Therapeutic Tumor Rejection. J. Immunol. (Cutting Edge). 160(7): 3081-3085.1998. ABSTRACT
- Morelli, A.E., Zahorchak, A.F., Larregina, A.T., Colvin, B.L., Logar, A.J., Takayama, T., Falo, LD., Jr., and Thompson A.W. Regulation of cytokine production by myeloid dendritic cells in relation to differentiation and terminal maturation in response to LPS or CD40 ligation. Blood, 98:5, 1521-23. 2001. ABSTRACT
- Morelli, AE, Larregina, AT, Shufesky, WJ, Zahorchak, AF, Logar, AJ, Papworth, GD, Wang, Z. Watkins, SC, Falo, JD, Jr., and Angus W. Thomson. Internalization of circulating apoptotic cells by splenic marginal zone dendritic cells: dependence on complement receptors and effect on cytokine production. Blood, 101:2, 611-620, 2003. ABSTRACT